Open PB&J Positions
Open volunteer positions for Portland Blues & Jazz Dance Society to help out your local dance community.
If you're interested in any of these roles reach out to the contact email address for that specific role.
Tuesday Blues Venue Closer
- You will need to be available Tuesday evenings from 11:30 PM until 1:30 AM to be at the dance. The closer schedule is bi-weekly so you would need to be available to close every other week (with flexibility).
- If you get the position you'll be responsible for helping clean up the venue at the end of the dance and take down the sound system (after being trained on everything, of course).
- This is a paid volunteer position that pays $20 and gets you into the dance for free the night you're closing. All other nights when you're not closing you do need to pay for admission.
- This position entails hosting 3-4 competitions a year. Currently PB&J hosts a Barefoot Mix & Match, a Tuesday Blues Mix & Match, and a Tuesday Blues Strictly competition.
- Duties include organization of competition logistics, communication with competition staff (judges, DJ, MC and videographer) and dance operations staff, competition marketing/outreach, management of competitor sign-ups, confirmation of prizes, competition preparation (i.e. finalization of competition format, assigning bib numbers, and updating MC scripts & judging sheets), day-of competition management, and any post-event follow up.
- Host any other competition-related events (i.e. post-competition reviews, etc.) as the Competition Coordinator and PB&J Board sees fit.
- Discuss any feedback and/or new competition opportunities with the board.
- This is an unpaid volunteer position on the Portland Blues & Jazz Society board, but you get into all weekly dances and lessons for free.